Operator Supervisory Course
Reintroduced in 2018, the Operator Supervisory Course is a multi-tiered training program designed for both Municipal and Private sector Supervisors in the heavy equipment and agricultural industries. Supervisors leave training armed with a better understanding of their roles, their due diligence and their expectations as an Operator Supervisor. Topics covered include health and safety issues, legal responsibilities, pre-trip inspection procedure and its importance as well as personnel safety and conduct standards.
Classroom Topics (Level 1)
- Due diligence: what is it and what does it mean to me?
- Your legal responsibilities
- Documentation and record keeping
- Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA)
- Highway Traffic Act
- Appropriate pre-trip inspections
- Operator competency and what you need to look for
- Information sources for safety and/or legal issues
- Recognizing and identifying safety infractions (using real life scenarios)
Classroom Topics (Level 2)
This portion of the course is Vehicle-Specific and begins by covering safe productivity with a focus on components and control identification, safety and warning symbols, pre-start procedures, starting procedures and after starting checks.Supervisors then review vehicle operation and safety, machine shut-down, advantages and limitations, attachments, load securement, tie-down and preventative maintenance. Taught from a Supervisor’s
perspective, participants gain a better understanding of the vehicle operation and learn to recognize and remedy any worker safety and/or production deficiencies.
Tractor Loader Backhoe, Front End Loader, Motor Grader
Who Should Attend:
Supervisors, at all levels, who are involved in the
municipal, construction or landscaping industries.
- Understand applicable industry equipment operation safety standards
- Understand the basic concepts of equipment design, operation and maintenance
- Gain familiarity with equipment controls and specifications
- Promptly correct unsafe work practices or hazardous conditions
Each student will
receive a comprehensive course
manual, as well as a recent edition of
the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
exam (multiple choice)